Wednesday, February 6, 2013

My mercury levels are safe!

I participated in VIMS graduate student, Xiaoyu Xu's study where she measured the mercury levels in various populations of humans, one of which was yours truly. I eat a lot of local fish including croaker, striped bass, flounder, eel, catfish, mackerel, bluefish, etc. I also occasionally eat fish of the world, such as tuna, salmon and eel at sushi and other restaurants.

 My mercury level: 0.6 ppm.

Parameters provided with results:
"According to WHO, there is no health effect for adults with hair mercury concentration up to 50 ppm. For pregnant women, any fetal effect will be impossible with hair mercury concentration below 14 ppm. The typical hair mercury concentrations in the U.S. population are often less than 1 ppm."

So I guess I'm good! This a 36 pound striped bass that I caught in December. I harvest 100 % of the meat from my fish. My favorite is the meat around the skull and bones. After filleting, I remove the guts and gills and then I slow cook the head and carcass. One this size yields about 2.5 pounds of the most beautiful lump white meat for delicious fish salads and fish cakes.  It's the best!  Oh, and then I'm left with some really cool skulls and bones.  I refuse to throw another carcass away.

4 comments:

James Douglass said...

Next time you cook one that way, show a picture of the skull and stuff!

Paul Richardson said...

I definitely want to! I think I want to post a detailed vid of the whole process so that more fishermen can stop wasting so much food!

Unknown said...

Paul, When I worked for the Florida Fish and Wildlife doing recreational fishing surveys back in 2001, I took a head from a 36 inch red snapper that was cleaned by a deck hand off a charter boat in Destin, FL. They laughed and called me something relating to garbage. In 5 hours that fish head went from deep Gulf waters to being scaled, cut in half and breaded, and fried for 2 adult peoples dinner. Tasty stuff. I also regularly cut the cheek meat (from under the eyes) out of many 20 inch and larger speckled trout. Now I live where there are only stripers and flounder inshore. So I will try what you are doing here with the fish heads! Take it easy,
Martin

Paul Richardson said...

Martin, Those name callers are idiots! My original intention was to make fish broth, but in the process I became much more interested in the delicious lumpy white meat. Basically, I just simmered the whole business with spices, herbs, onions, garlic, carrots and celery for like 2 hours. Then, tongs remove the skin, and little tongs get the good stuff and voila!