Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Dakine PosiLock Strap (smash or trash?)

Yesterday I got an early start at work so I felt justified in taking off a little early with James to go to the Gloucester Seafood spot and get a little sailing in. The hot day and the promise of late afternoon thunder boomers were generating a nice 19kt SE wind, according to iWindsurf reports. Looking out at the York confirmed this hence the white caps.

By the time we got to the spot though, the breeze had dropped off to about 10 and the heat was oppressive. We rigged anyhow because it still seemed promising. James had his Kona longboard with a 7.5m sail and I had my UltraCat with my 6.9. This was also my maiden voyage for my new DaKine Tabu harness. I hooked in and the strap became loose. I tried to unhook, but due to the looseness, I was unsuccessful and hence I fell into my sail cussing and spitting. James and I goofed with the strap without success. Sadly, I returned to my car and fetched Ol Yeller for the rest of the session.

Last night I checked the web and found this very helpful video that demonstrates just how simple it is. I followed the protocol and now it seems solid. Guess I need to get back out there to make sure!



After the harness fiasco we had a rockin sesh! The wind picked back up to 20 and we zipped out and back with the unofficial quest of reaching the lighthouse on the other side of the river near Goodwin Island. After some tacks and much progress though, the sky became purple and there was the distant sound of thunder. We beat it down wind to get back to the beach. This was where I had some difficulty. I really need to learn to jibe. The few times that I tried it yesterday, I spilled. So I reverted to tacking, which is silly because I basically did 270 degree turns, but at least I could do that without falling. Argh, I still have much to learn from the master, I mean Dr. James before he departs for Fla in a couple of weeks!

6 comments:

James Douglass said...

I would say the wind only picked up to 15 knots. 20 would have been tough with our big sails. Good sesh, though!

Outdrsmn said...

If you don't thread the buckle right on those things either they don't work or they are a pain to get loose. Bad news if you get caught under the sail.
It took me a while to figure mine out on the impact vest. Now it works like a charm.

Paul Richardson said...

Chris, What's an impact vest? I think I might need one of those.

James, thanks for keeping me honest on my wind estimate. Those big sails are fun!

PeconicPuffin said...

I say "Trash" on the PosiLock. Been sailing with one for nine years, and have never it's functionality. I'm replacing it soon (I figure I got my money's worth out of it!)

PeconicPuffin said...

Also, I liked when you said "I really need to learn to jibe." You should. It's simple and straightforward to learn, and everybody is good at it. So you should take an hour and sort that out.

Unknown said...

Really I Love all longboards design and all boards! But my mostly favorite longboard is Krown Longboards .