Thursday, February 14, 2008

My "New" French Stick

A picture of my "new" rig, this morning, the day after her maiden voyage. Great weather.

My windsurfing instructor, James, had finally had enough. He said I was getting just good enough that I was doing too much damage to his gear. So, James did me the favor of connecting me to some folks that had some extra gear. I scored a Bic (yes, it’s the same French company that makes the lighters) Samba “allround funboard” from somewhere between 1990 and 1995. At 170L she actually sinks a little under my 200 lbs when the wind is weak, and she’s much squirrelier than the 220 Kona that I’m used to.

James said that my “allround funboard” may have discouraged a lot of people from windsurfing since the sport was going more to the short boards and the funboard label was a little misleading since it is actually a little more of a technical board. James also said that he thinks I might be able to actually jump it. Sweet!

Anyhow, yesterday was the maiden voyage. The water and the air temperature were both about 45oF with a NW wind at 15 kts and driving rain; not exactly ideal conditions but I really was itching to try out my new rig.

It's awesome! I had some fast, fun rides. I can't wait to get on it in some better weather with stronger winds!

James was a real sport because he went with me to the Carmine Island spot, on the York River. We took turns, and he helped me tweak the boom and mast for my 6.4-m sail. The mast and boom needed to adjust out. The small 460 mast necessitated extending the mast base out to over 40 cm.

The board and the sail are pink and my harness is pink and yellow. Did I mention that I’m windsurfing in conservative, rural Gloucester County, VA? An old white dude watched us for about an hour from the landing in his pick-up truck. I don’t even want to know what he was thinking, plotting, or doing with the engine running while James and I were taking turns dialing in the “new” rig. Ewww!

8 comments:

James Douglass said...

Awesome post, dude! Yeah, I wondered what that guy in the pickup truck was up to...

Catapulting Aaron said...

Welcome to the addiction! Say goodbye to normal life!

Paul Richardson said...

Thanks, Aaron.
Normal life? I woldn't know what that is. I do know that windsurfing rocks, and I'll do it for as long as my body will let me.
Rock on!

MillardFamily said...

How cold is the water this time of year?

Paul Richardson said...

I think about 45o, maybe a little less, but on days when air temps are warm, windsurfing is totally fun, and I'm kind of a wimp about cold. Although, I do have a pretty good wetsuit, booties, gloves and a hood.

Airstream Basecamp said...

Man, that's funny, I had a pink Bic Samba back in the day. I have'nt thought of that board in 15 years. I think it ended it's life in a board toss.

Keep it going!

docorcindy said...

Do you still have this board. I have one and used it a few times when I bought it, it was new and then put it in the attic and got it out a couple of days ago and rigged it all up and was about to get into the water when the mast foot broke. At least that's waht I think you call it. The thing that looks like an hour glass and attaches the mast to the board. Anyway I need a replacement part and they don't make them anymore. If anyone knows what I can do to fix it please let me know.

Paul Richardson said...

Hey Docorcindy,
I donated that board to the paddle club at work and nobody EVER uses it. It's rotting away on a rack. You can get the part from it if you want. Sorry, for the late reply. I've all but abandoned this blog. I'm thinking of maybe blogging sometime soon... but don't hold your breath!